IELTS Academic Writing Task 1 requires you to describe a visual representation of information in a clear and concise manner. One of the common types of visuals is a map, which can be a bit challenging to describe if you are not familiar with the structure and vocabulary. In this blog, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to answer map questions in IELTS Academic Writing Task 1, along with some mock samples.
Understanding the Structure of a Map
Before we dive into how to answer map questions, it is important to understand the structure of a map. A typical map contains several key elements that you should be familiar with, including:
- Title: The title of the map gives an overview of the location and the purpose of the map.
- Legend: The legend contains symbols and colors that represent different features on the map, such as roads, buildings, and parks.
- North Arrow: The north arrow shows the direction of the north on the map, which helps orient the reader.
- Scale: The scale indicates the ratio of the size of the area on the map to the actual size of the area in real life.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Answer Map Questions
Now that we have covered the basic structure of a map, let’s take a look at a step-by-step guide on how to answer map questions in IELTS Academic Writing Task 1.
- Read the instructions carefully: Make sure you understand the instructions and the task requirements before you start writing.
- Analyze the map: Take a few moments to analyze the map carefully. Identify the main features and layout of the map. The map will typically have a key or legend that provides information on the symbols and colors used in the map. The title of the map and the date of publication should also be noted.
- Describe the area: In your answer, you should describe the location of the area or place shown on the map, highlighting the key features and landmarks. You should also provide information on the direction and distance between different locations on the map. Finally, you should summarize the information presented on the map in a clear and concise manner.
Mock Sample Question:
|The maps below show the center of a small town called Birshire as it is now, and plans for its development.
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Answer: The maps provided illustrate the planned changes for the town of Birshire. In the future, Birshire will undergo a significant transformation, transitioning from a rural town to an urbanized area, complete with new infrastructures like roads, a car park, and a supermarket.
To achieve this transformation, the farms in Birshire will be removed. Griffiths Farm, located in the top right corner of the map, will be replaced with a supermarket, while Hoolahan Farm, currently situated on the right side of McGoldrick Road, will make way for a parking lot. Additionally, the Farmer’s Market located beside Corbie Road will no longer exist.
Moreover, Corbie Road will be extended beyond That Street, and a roundabout will be added at the junction of McGoldrick Road and That Street. The open field in the bottom right corner of the map will be the site for the construction of a Sports Center. Finally, to make way for more houses, shops in the bottom left corner of the map will be removed.
Answering maps in the IELTS Academic Writing Task 1 requires an understanding of the key features and layout of the map. By following the suggested headings and providing clear and concise descriptions, you can effectively answer location maps in this task. Remember to practice and review your work to improve your skills and prepare for the test.
Once you’re ready to take the IELTS Writing Test, book your seat in advance.
If you want to book your IELTS test in advance, visit IELTS AOLCC. We have IELTS Test Centres available in Mississauga, Kingston, London, and Brampton. All our test centres are equipped with the necessary amenities.